Courtney Allen's Models

The following pictures are of Courtney Allen models. For more information, Courtney can be contacted via E-mail at:
This 1/160 scale Junkers D.I by Aero Base was fun to build and quite a change from what I normally work on. I took about an hour build and went together like a Swiss clock.

Although I have done a number of aircraft, this is my first attempt at figure. I am hooked. I really enjoyed the change of pace from building aircraft and will definitely be doing more. As you can see, I have a lot to learn. Anyway this is the 120mm resin figure of "Manfred Von Richthofen" from "The Model Cellar". I used Vallejo acrylic paints throughout except for the jacket and boots which were painted with oils over a base of acrylics.

The images below are of a Renault FT Tank in 1/25 scale by MODELCARD. Of special note is the fact that the kit is entirely PAPER. Well almost entirely, the gun barrel is alum. tubing with springs and handle holds made from steel wire. Modeling in paper creates a number of challenges not normally found in plastic or wood. Most important of which is the limited ability to correct errors. Once a piece is cut and glued, gaps, miss-alignments and other errors can not be filled and sanded away. Every thing must be dry fitted repeatedly. If you are looking for a different challenges you might want to give a paper (or card) modeling a try. There are many WWI kits available including aircraft, zeppelins and vehicles.

This is the all resin Copper State 1/48 scale Pfalz DR.I Triplane with figures by CMK. The markings depict 3050/17 which was tested and rejected by Manfred Von Richthofen in December 1917. Since I could find no photos of the interior I used photos of a Pfalz D.VIII which the triplane resembled.

This is a heavily modified Flashback 1/48 Morane-Saulnier Type I kit. Although the markings have been depicted by may other modelers, I always wanted one in my collection. I found the photo etched hood supplied by Flashback not to be very accurate. The hood area had been modified in the field in an effort to provide a more protective windshield. To correct this and to better portray the field modifications made to the hood, I removed the upper hood and reformed the area with sheet plastic. The wings were also modified by adding a scalloped appearance to the trailing edge.

Return to The WWI Images Page